1 Corinthians 12:1-31
There is a vast difference between the "Gifts" and the "Fruit" of the Spirit.
The gifts are a supernatural empowering of God's Spirit working miracles through the children of God.
The fruit of the Spirit are character traits and attitude altering behavioral characteristics that will begin to perfect the child of God.
A. The Lord said "wait for the promise", "ye shall be baptized with the Holy
Ghost". Verse 8, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come
B. There can be no gifts aside from the Holy Ghost. After we receive the Holy
Ghost, we will begin to develop the "Gifts". Notice that they are "Gifts". God
delivers to us the gifts, and will at times use certain people with certain gifts.
However, I believe that all of the gifts are resident in us and can be manifest when
A. Greater works shall "he" do. "He" is us. We can do even greater works than
He did. Again we must remember that even though a person is used in the gifts,
that doesn't necessarily mean they are close to God. Even demonic forces can
B. 2 Thess. 2:1-12. Here we see that evil forces can perform "lying" wonders.
1. We also see the need to "love the truth". If we serve the Lord in
unrighteousness, He may send a strong delusion, verse 11.
2. Unrighteousness = injustice, iniquity, wrong doing, lawlessness.
Adikia = Wrong doing as between persons.
Anomia = lawlessness, the rejection of Divine law, or wrong committed
3. Could this mean that rejection of the true Word of God can bring the
judgment of God upon us? I believe so. God speaks to us through His
Word. We have only one way to respond to the Word, OBEY.
4. Rejection of the Word of God can bring swift destruction. Living an
unrighteous life can bring the judgment of God upon us.
Ready, set, action.
The gifts should be in action in the Church.
A. Acts 4:33, Hebrews 2:3-4, Acts 2:46-47, Matt. 6:33
B. We are a spiritual people (the Church). We need to aggressively seek God in
order to aggressively reach our world. Heaven suffers violence, the violent take it
Operation of the gifts.
A. 1 Cor. 14:26. Let all things be done edifying.
B. Since the day of Pentecost, the glory of God has been upon the church.
C. The gifts should be subject to "love" and should be a result of love. 1 Cor. 13
D. In my opinion, love is the single most important ingredient to revival.
E. As we operate in the gifts of the Spirit, we cannot ignore the reality that we
must be genuinely concerned for the "body" the Church, and individuals within.
1. The gifts must operate with respect to leadership.
2. For the kingdom of God's sake. Harmony.
3. The Word of God forms banks within which the river of the Spirit flows.
4. Gifts are for edification, not display.
5. Gifts are to benefit the church, not the individual.
6. Gifts are not restricted to the sanctuary.
7. They show forth the Glory of God, not man.
Classification of the gifts.
A. Administrative gifts
1. Word of wisdom
2. Word of knowledge
3. Discerning of spirits
B. Ministry or Evangelism gifts
2. Gifts of healing
3. Working of miracles
C. Revelation or communication gifts
2. Kinds of tongues
3. Interpretation of tongues
The church constructed according to the blueprint of God, will be a powerful force, mightily blessed with His presence.
A. We cannot rely on the flesh to reach this world.
B. The gifts are still in operation today.
C. Some people say that the gifts, in fact, the Spirit, are no longer in operation
Word Of Wisdom
A. 1 Cor. 1:19,20,25
B. God's foolishness is wiser than man's greatest attempt at wisdom and
1. The gift of the "Word of Wisdom" is the supernatural enabling of God
in the area of wisdom.
2. Education and wisdom are not the same.
C. 1 Cor. 2:1-5 + Philippians 3:7-8
D. The "Word of Wisdom" is closely related to decision making.
1. This gift is not in continuous operation. This gift will generally be in
operation through the pastor. The Lord uses this administrative gift in
assisting the pastor to lead the people of God.
2. The expression "Word of Wisdom" implies that this is a momentary
divine intervention, not the sum total of God's wisdom.
Word of Knowledge
A. This gift is similar to the "Word of Wisdom", yet different in operation.
1. Colossians 2:3
2. One of the greatest examples of the "Word of Knowledge" in operation is
in Acts 5:1-6. Ananias & Sapphira purposed in their heart to lie to the
disciples. The "Word of Knowledge" operated when the deed was
revealed to Peter.
3. Another example of the gift in operation is Acts 9:15-16. Here we find
a disciple named Ananias. God spoke to him and told him that Saul was in
Demascus, and the need to go pray for him.
B. The "Word of Knowledge" is God's way of revealing the truth.
C. The gifts of Wisdom & Knowledge are considered "Twin Gifts".
Discerning of Spirits
A. Ephesians 6:12.
1. God's Spirit and angelic powers are very real. There is also satanic
power and spirits; these spirits are just as real.
2. The gift of "Discerning of Spirits" is God's way of revealing the source
of spiritual activity.
B. The Scriptures mention some evil spirits. Below are a list of some of them.
1. Unclean. Matt. 12:43 10. Perverse. Isa. 19:14
2. Lying. 1 Kings 22:22 11. Whoredoms. Hosea 4:12
3. Tormenting. Matt. 4:24 12. Dumb. Mark 9:17
4. Infirmity. Luke 13:11 13. Foul. Mark 9:25
5. Fortune-telling. Acts 16:16 14. Fear. 2 Tim 1:7
6. Jealousy. Numbers 5:14 15. Antichrist. 1 Jn. 5:14
7. Evil. Judges 9:23 16. Error. 1 Jn. 4:6
8. Familiar. 1 Sam. 28:7 17. World. 1 Cor. 2:12
9. Haughty. Prov. 16:18 18. Seducing. 1 Tim. 4:1 19. Devils. Rev. 16:14
There are three spirits in operation within man: the Spirit of God, the spirit of man, and the spirit of satan.